Friday, February 1, 2008

Class Discussion

I was somewhat surprised to people's reactions mostly because I had different opinions. A lot of the conversation seemed to be about how Kilbourne exaggerated in her examples. Even though she did exaggerate, I still agree with her opinion. What the discussion focused on was a lot different than what I got from the article. I think one of her main points was that women are being dehumanized and that males think that they are superior to females. It gives males power and control which sometimes leads to abuse or violence. I can see where males would be offended by this, and even though this is not true in all situations, it does happen. Kilbourne didn't focus a lot on how males are portrayed, but in my opinion, there isn't that much to focus on. I personally don't see the way males are portrayed causing females to feel superior and act violently or rape someone. The discussion was sort of frustrating because people interrupted and talked over each other. Also, some people didn't seem willing to look at things from a different perspective, which is kind of unproductive.

No comments: