Sunday, December 2, 2007

Progress

I did some more research on specific details and statistics. I found more information, but I haven't compared it to other sources yet. I found more information on state hospitals regarding their development, controversies, and reasons for shut down. I also found more statistics one them being in 1955, about 560,000 Americans were being treated in state hospitals. Between 1955 and 2000, the population increased from 166 to 276 million. You would expect to find 930,000 patients in state hospitals, but there are fewer than 55,000 today. Almost 300,000 are in jails and prisons and another half million are on court-ordered probation. I did further research into possible solutions and alternatives that have been tried or are functioning currently. I watched a documentary on Atascadero State Hospital in California which is a facility that holds mentally ill inmates after they have served their time in jail. It showed the conditions of the hospital, which were much better than jail, but also some of the reasons why it is controversial (is it fair to keep people after they have served their time, cost, etc). I also re-read the part of Pete Earley's book "Crazy" on the Diversion Program which sends inmates to actual mental health facilities to be stabilized.

1 comment:

STEVE "B.Will" Willliams said...

Wow, those statisics are crazy. That is really weird that less than 55,000 patients are beinng treat in state hospitals today. That seems sketchy to me. I would want to know why the numbers are so low, if it had something to do with the hospitals or the justice/legal system. I have never heard of the book "Crazy" but it sounds interesting. Why are inmates being sent to mental institutions? Is it actually for their behavior or what? Your topic is really very interesting and I bet the final product will be great!