Friday, December 7, 2007

Confused and not making progress

I was having trouble finding non-internet sources so I decided to interview someone who has experience in the mental health field. I tried to ask her about different opinions on what should be done. It ended up getting really off topic and left me more confused about what I'm trying to present. I'm starting to realize that my topic is a lot more complex than what I was trying to focus on. I was hoping to get a somewhat unbiased more objective view of different solutions to the problem, but it turned out to be the opposite. She started to talk about how people who are dangerous can't be treated in mental health facilities, but non-violent people can. She says that there is a different between mental health issues and behavior. For example, someone with a conduct disorder can't be treated with medication. A sociopath (or anti-social personality disorder) can't be sent to a hospital for two reasons. One, they are too dangerous. Two, it does not help to put them in a different facility when they need to be held accountable for their actions. Once accountability is there, she said that mental health treatment would be appropriate. She said that a big problem with why treatment doesn't work is because there is no follow up and the need for case workers. She also asked me if I knew is there was any screening for a person to be put into the mental health section of the jail. I am not sure if there is a screening process so I will research it. She encouraged me to do more research on the system and what happens before inmates are incarcerated. I'm not sure if that's what needs to happen.

The conversation went way off topic and it left me more confused. She asked me to identify what different sides I'm trying to look at and I told her I was looking at different opinions on solutions. She still did not have a clear answer to my question partly because of her bias, which she recognized, and the need to expose the entire situation. Because she explained more parts of the criminal justice system and mental health, I am really confused about what I'm writing about. I pretty much have no clue anymore. I did research on different possible solutions which is what my original plan was, but I couldn't find very much besides some info on CIT (which isn't that related), mental health courts, and some alternative treatment facilities. I guess I'll just do research on everything and see what turns out.

Despite the information overload and confusion, I did talk to someone whose father works in the criminal justice system. I'll be talking to them tomorrow and I'm hoping to receive a non biased, objective answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though you aren't finding people who are black and white on the issue, it seems like you have been able to find multiple perspectives on the topic. That is what you should consider as you move forward.