Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Awakening (Ch. 35-39)

Edna hopes that Robert will come to visit her, but he never does. Edna sees Robert at a garden cafe and he walks home with her. Robert admits that he was thinking of Edna all the time in Mexico. But he knew that she was Mr.Pontellier's wife and that he was "demented, dreaming of wild, impossible things, recalling men who had set their wives free..." She responds that she isn't one of Mr.Pontellier's possessions. Edna leaves to go to Madame Ratignolle's. Robert says he'll walk with her, but she asks him to stay and wait for her. Doctor Mandelet walks Edna home and tells her, "you seem to be in trouble. I am not going to ask for your confidence, I will only say that if ever you feel moved to give it to me, perhaps I might help you. I know I would understand, and I tell you there are not many who would - not many, my dear." When Edna gets home, Robert isn't there.
He left a note saying, "I love you. Good-by -- because I love you." He knows that she can never be his wife and doesn't want to do any more damage.
Edna is back on Grand Isle and decides to go for a swim. She thinks about her husband and children and Robert's note. She swims out too far and becomes tired. Edna sees a bird with a broken wing that is falling and this symbolizes Edna.
I can see why she felt trapped and hopeless in her situation and felt killing herself was her best or only option. However, that doesn't take away the damage her decision caused.

No comments: