Friday, March 7, 2008

Stealing

Wright thinks the only way he can escape from everything holding him back is by moving to the North. He needs to buy a train ticket, but does not have enough money so her resorts to stealing. He quits his job at the hotel and gets one at the movie theater where he resells tickets to make money. He also steals a gun from his neighbor's house and cans of fruit preserves from the college, which he sells for money. He hesitates to steal because it is what would be expected of him. He doesn't want to fall into the stereotype that blacks steal or make himself look bad compared to whites. I understand why Wright stole and I would have done the same thing to escape from his conditions, but I'm not sure that justifies stealing. Even though I too would have been impatient to get out of the South, there are ways to make the money needed to buy a ticket even thought it would have taken much longer. Even though I understand where he's coming from, I'm not sure it justifies stealing even though I would have acted in a similar way.

No comments: